CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 01, 2009

homemade laundry soap

Here is the recipe that I use. I got it from thefamilyhomestead.com but made a few adjustments

1 bar of ivory soap
1/2 C. washing soda
1/2 c. borax
Water
2 gallon bucket
Essential oil (optional) for fragrance.

Grate the bar of soap into a saucepan. Add 6 cups water and heat mixture until the soap dissolves. Add washing soda and borax. Stir well, until dissolved. Remove from heat. Add about 4 cups of water to your bucket. Add your soap mixture. Stir well. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Add essential oil if you choose. Let soap sit for approximately 24 hours. Use 1/2 cup per load.


This mixture does not become a solid gel. It is sort of snot like. After the soap sets for 24 hours, I pour it into old, clean gallon milk cartons. It take approximately 3.

If you have a stain, just rub some into the stain immediately before you wash.

I have had great luck with this. Except for the stinky gym clothes that Josh left in his gym bag for a week. They still smell so I am going to try soaking for 24 hours.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just what I wanted to do - wash clothes in "snot like" detergent! Really, it sounds pretty neat; I may have to try it!